Friday, June 27, 2008

Ugh, what a morning!

  • The morning began rather painfully. I woke at 5:30 to 10/10 abdominal pain. I tried to recall my Lamaze techniques to breath though the pain in hopes that it would pass but the ensuing nausea and profuse sweating was too much for me. I woke Dave and explained what I was feeling. Immediately, he called Dr. R. at home for guidance. We were instructed to meet him at the office asap. We called our friend, Jennie, to come sit with the girls. By the time we were ready to leave, the pain had subsided. I was relieved but embarrassed as we entered the office. Dr. R. did a quick exam and ultrasound and determined that one of my ovaries had likely twisted around itself causing the pain (apparently this is rather common after stimulation). The ultrasound showed that my ovaries are still quite large and there is a small collection of fluid in my uterus. He assured us that none of these anomalies require surgical intervention or interfere my egg transfer and encouraged me to just go home take it easy.
  • As far as the embryos go, 2 of the 5 stopped growing at 8 cells and will not likely evolve into anything implantable. The remaining 3 continue to grow but are "compact", hopefully they will continue to develop in time to be transferred tomorrow. Dr. R. sat us both down for a heart to heart and encouraged us that it is not over until we say it is and that he believes that there is still hope for a "love child" even if it doesn't happen this series. We left the office fairly discouraged. I felt quite sad that we may have gone through all of this without anything to show. Once we got home and I settled into the couch, Dave contacted the nurse at The Center for a little clarification. She stated that almost 70% of couples have to wait for a Day 6 transfer due to slower growing embryos. She reassured him that she would call first thing in the morning with an update and a game plan.
  • For now, I am just lounging around trying to keep all of my innards from kinking off and counting the minutes until we have an answer. Thank heaven for the marathon of Project Runway being aired on Bravo today. This waiting game is not my strong suit. We are just going to lay low this afternoon and keep our eye on the prize. I'll update again tomorrow.

No comments: