Saturday, June 7, 2008

5 W's and H of IVF


Who: Dave and I (duh!)

What: IVF aka In Vitro Fertilization; a procedure that involves the retrieval of eggs, collection of sperm, and then placing them together in a laboratory dish to fertilize outside of the body.

Where: The procedures will take place at The Center for Reproductive Endocrinology and Fertility in Spokane. The injections will be done by me on me wherever I happen to be at precisely 7am and 7pm on the days the doses are scheduled.

When: We have already begun the suppression phase of the protocol. The series will continue through the end of June and hopefully result in a pregnancy (or two) by early July.

Why: Basic junior high biology class taught us that in order for a pregnancy to occur, and egg and sperm must hook up. Let’s just say that any biological children of Dave will not be Olympic swimmers. TMI?

How: Okay, down to the nitty gritty. After a multitude of exams, ultrasounds, blood work, and specimen evaluations the protocol that our physician has prepared for us will be in 5 phases.


1. Suppression: The purpose of this phase is to quiet the ovaries and prepare them for stimulation. This is done by taking oral progesterone tablets daily.


2. Stimulation: The purpose of this phase is to stimulate multiple follicles to grow so that they are of optimum size for retrieval. (Follicles are sacs of fluid and typically each one hold and egg.) Stimulation is done by injecting two different hormones twice a day into my abdomen (Yes, that means 4 shots a day). During this phase I will have an ultrasound and blood work every other day to determine my hormone levels (to ensure medication dosages are adequate) and the size of the follicles in my ovaries. We will be starting this phase on June 12th (our 4th Anniversary).


3. Retrieval: Once the doctor determines that the majority of my follicles are of optimal size, I will take a high dose HCG injection and plan on retrieval 36 hours later. The egg retrieval procedure is an ultrasound guided needle aspiration of the follicles from the ovaries. The procedure is performed under anesthesia at The Center. This is tentatively scheduled for June 23rd. It is at this point that Dave gets to participate. On the day of my retrieval, he will supply a specimen of his swimmers. The sample is washed and spun down to separate the highly motile from the ones swimming in circles. Finally, the motile sperm cells are placed in embryo culture medium with the eggs so they can do their business. In the event there are not enough sperm with a sense of direction, the embryologist may perform the ICSI procedure. I’ll give more details later if we have to go that route.


4. Embryo transfer: After all of the mature eggs and sperm hook up they will incubate in a temperature controlled environment to (hopefully) grow into mature embryos. Once we determine how many of the embryos have matured, we will have some difficult decisions to make including how many to place in my uterus and what to do with any “leftovers”. The embryo transfer itself is a relatively minor procedure that occurs 3-5 days after retrieval (tentatively June 28th). Basically, the mature embryos that make the cut are strategically placed in my uterus via a flexible catheter. Then we wait. I will continue one of my twice daily injected hormones to help foster a hospitable environment in my uterus for the embryos.


5. Follow-up: One week after retrieval, I will have estrogen and progesterone levels drawn to double check drug dosages. Two weeks after retrieval I will have my first pregnancy test. If the result is positive, then… well it is positive. If the result is negative, we will double check it again in a few days, if still negative then we start again at square one. Hopefully we won’t have to think about that.

Well… that is it in a nutshell. There is not a lot else we can say other than prayers for strength, courage, and patience are appreciated. As you can imagine, it has been a long road to get to this point and will be even longer until we have a positive pregnancy test. Your posted comments will be greatly appreciated as we endure the nexy few weeks.

4 comments:

Bon said...

Hi Dave and Tracy,

I hope that I am not intruding, but Phyllis emailed me your "Love Family" Blog and I am so happy that she did as I want to wish you both success in this IVF procedure.
Dave, a special note to you: I remember oh so well when I would babysit you as a baby and then all of the summer's that you came to Florida to stay with us, and now we await the new's of your very own little one.
I will pray along with you.

Love Aunt Bon

The "J' Eder Family said...

I am so excited for you. I don't know if you remember Sarah, but she just went thru the same thing and is prego now...her blog is listed on mine - Murphy's blog! Can't wait - I am so glad you are blogger now so I can stay updated! Miss you!

GRAMMY LOVE said...

Dear Dave and Tracy,
We are enjoying your Love Family Blog. Its great to keep up with the girls activities and of course seeing the pictures is a plus! Dad and I want you both to know that our love and prayers are with you during this very important time going through the IVF procedure. We're looking forward to our future "GrandBaby Love!" Ashley and Brooke will be such a big help with their future baby sister or brother! Love and Prayers, Mom and Dad Love xoxoxo

smargaret2003 said...

Tracy I totally rememeber you and was so excited you wrote. I love your blog. I am a newbee to the whole gig so no laughing at my site. LOL.

I am so excited for you and Dave I know it's scary and a little overwelling at times but trust me if I can do it anyone can! This Friday is our last visit with Dr. R I am going to miss the Center so much.

I wanted you to know if you ever need someone to talk to while you are starting your IVF phases please feel free to call me anytime. I would be more than happy to help you out in anyway that I can. I am praying for you guys!

My cell is 509-430-2608. Only two more days before all that magic starts to happen!

Hugs!
Sarah