Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye to Shift Work

Well... It's official, I am saying goodbye to shift work. I have been in the interview & salary negotiation process for the last few weeks and received an offer yesterday. I am the newest face of the Research Department at Inland Cardiology. As a research nurse, I will be responsible for finding appropriate drug and medical device studies, enrolling, and following patients through the various study protocols for the cardiologists in our group. This job will require a little wining & dining, occasional destination travel as studies are launched, and "real" work clothes. Adios to my less than figure flattering scrubs, calling doctors in the middle of the night, and the mystery meat in the hospital cafeteria at 2am. I am planning to remain as supplemental staff in the CICU at Sacred Heart since I have been in the Providence Healthcare system since 1999 however somehow I find it hard to conceive the thought of going back to shift work, even if for one night. I know that every job presents challenges and politics but I am choosing to look at the future through rose colored glasses and embrace the forthcoming changes. I am signing off for now to head to out shopping to rescucitate my wardrobe and create my new professional look.

2 comments:

The "J' Eder Family said...

Congratulations!! So what are your hours then?

The Love Family said...

I will be working M, Tu, W, Fri from 9:15 to 4pm. It is more days per week than I am used too however I am able to get the girls off to school everyday and still have Thursday to myself to get things done around the house. It will be nice to have weekends off since that is really the only time that Dave is not tied to work and his phone. Shane is moving up here in a few weeks so we won't have to commute as much for that. The big plus is that it is NOT night shift and should provide for a challenge at work (I have been so... bored).