Saturday, December 20, 2008

Date Night











Dave and I had a fantastic "Date Night" last night. We attended the Inland Cardiology Employee Christmas Party held at the historic Davenport Hotel downtown and enjoyed an exquisite dinner and some laughs with my co-workers before spending the remainder of the evening in our room. It was a great opportunity for us to reconnect without the distractions of home even if only for one night. After sleeping in, we savored a scrumptious brunch before returning home to face the long list of holiday "to do's" still left undone; only 4 shopping days left until Christmas. Sigh!

I must say that personally this has been the most stressful holiday season that I can recall. Lately it feels as though we have lost touch with the true reason for the season with the constant hustle and bustle of shopping and shipping gifts when it really is about counting your blessings. I lost my cool with my Mom on the phone today after standing in line at the post office for 45 minutes the second time this week to ship packages to family. My frustration was exacerbated by the fact that in some cases it cost more to ship the gifts than to purchase them. I know what your thinking... I should just send gift cards. I have got to say am not a big fan of gift cards. I have always made a special effort to purchase thoughtful gifts for those in my family however the warm fuzzies are lost when I am not with them to watch as they open the gifts and unable appreciate their expressions as they see what I selected for them. I am sorry to my Mom for her being at the receiving end of my bah humbug attitude, but something has got to give. I am logging off now to go snuggle with the girls and Dave as we watch The Polar Express, a holiday tradition started a few years ago. Hopefully, when I wake in the morning I will have a new outlook on this holiday season, otherwise I will be lovingly referred to as The Grinch!

3 comments:

heather said...

first, you guys look amazing and it sounds like you had a wonderful time reconnecting!
second, i think everyone who reads your blog will agree with you about falling into the whole gift giving expectations, expense of it all, etc etc..but the fact that you know the real reason we celebrate is what matters and you can always do it differently next year...we did (i'll tell you about it later). God still loves you and knows what a struggle it is to live in this world. We're really excited to see you guys tomorrow morning to have 'church' in our home...we'll be praying for your time together as family this week as well!

Mom said...

Wow, sounds like you and Dave had a wonderful relaxing time in a beautiful setting. You both look amazing, all decked out in your holiday best. A couple of friends I shared your website with thought you (Tracy, not Dave) and I look alike, if only I were so lucky.

Love always,
Mom

GRAMMY LOVE said...

THESE ARE GREAT PICTURES OF THE TWO OF YOU. YOUR SMILES SURE REFLECT JUST HOW MUCH FUN AND "LOVE" THAT YOU HAVE GOING ON IN YOUR LIVES TOGETHER!! BY THE LOOKS OF THE SNOW IN YOUR AREA, SANTA SHOULD BRING YOU ALL "SNOWMOBILES" for CHRISTMAS!!

LOVE AND HUGS,
MA LOVE :-)
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO